Friday, January 9, 2015

The Write Woman Loves Spiders and Snakes (237 Days)


If you ask my kids what I’m afraid of, they’ll say I’m not afraid of anything. Not that I ever say that, just they’ve seen me get extraordinarily angry and never consider my reaction due to fear. Everyone reacts differently to fear, right?
         
Chilean Rose Tarantulas are relatively tame
  
I never did have a snake, but entertained the thought for a minute or two and did have a tarantula named Pebbles. I remember writing my three biggest fears were an inability to have babies, homelessness, and amnesia. But look at me, I’ve overcome all of them. But now I can never go to haunted houses at Halloween. In my younger years I was dismissed for beating up the workers who startled me in a spook alley. I’m one of those who reacts first and pays later, regardless of who frightens me—if I get frightened at all. I no longer trust myself having a good time while I’m wetting my pants. I’m even more on edge now that I have kids. So that made me wonder what everyone is afraid of and why. Or is it simply the inability to see in the dark?
            As a writer it’s important to understand fear and what causes it. More importantly, what causes it in other people. No, I’m not planning on writing the next big blockbuster to compete with Saw. Besides with my outlook the scariest movie I could come up with is a single mother chasing bill collectors and beating them to death with a rolling pin. Sounds gruesome, right? Well, it was—I mean, it would be. But there are fears people must overcome we deal with easily on a daily basis. In my later thirties, I had a bout with agoraphobia. Try dealing with that one! I got to the point the only time I would leave my living room was to shower and use the restroom, unless I was quickly grabbing a bite and sprinting back from the kitchen. Explaining the concept of fear to others in a way they can understand takes amazing imagery capabilities. The beauty of art is relaying emotion, and the successful ones do it well.
            I heard on the radio Jennifer Anniston has a new role in a film entitled Cake She must have failed because before she knew what was happening, she was sitting on her tricycle at the bottom of the pool, refusing to let go. Eventually her brother pried her fingers off the handle bars and saved her. Now she says she cannot go anywhere near the water.
If everything were cake, wouldn't life be delightful? Not!
scene in a body of water. They had to do thirty takes to get the shot. Apparently when she was about four, she and her older brother were playing near the pool. Jennifer was on her tricycle. (Parents? Where are you?) Anyway, she did what any daredevil at the age of four would do and pretended to be Evel Knievel jumping the Snake River. She must have failed because before she knew what was happening, she was sitting on her tricycle at the bottom of the pool, refusing to let go. Eventually her brother pried her fingers off the handle bars and saved her. Now she says she cannot go anywhere near the water.
            What people should really fear is getting old. As we grow, our mentality changes as well as our physical bodies—at first for the better. Women get round breasts and men get those broad shoulders. But soon the breasts sag and the shoulders droop. Body parts switch functions without permission--my eyes are so dry they hurt while my nipples have an irreparable leak. All I can do is the curse the gods and ask why! Obviously my fears have changed.
            Will you do me, and all the other writers who read my blog, a favor by sharing your greatest fear and why. What are you afraid of?

No comments:

Post a Comment