Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Write Woman Explains Why Happy Chef Needs Bejeweled to Procreate Properly (294 Days Remaining)


In expressing how much my eight-year-old daughter loves my twelve-year-old son, she wants to know why they can’t marry. “I’m working right now, can it wait?” I ask, hoping either she will forget or some ingenious idea will strike that sounds like I know everything. It can’t wait, apparently, because she rephrases it several different ways, trying to break the barrier. What can I say? She’s tenacious. At least she isn't trying to marry a loser, right?

I feel it’s important to express in terminology she can relate to, being a kid and all, yet not making me appear as a clumsy oaf. As a former dancer, you may think I’m so familiar with the subject I can recite it in reverse. The truth is I can if it’s in four-letter words, but this is my daughter. So I figured if I expressed The Speech in relation to video games, she will more than likely get it.

“Okay,” I say, “You know how much you like the game Happy Chef?” Her head nods emphatically, so I follow up with, “That’s me! I’m Happy Chef. And I have two little games of my own that are both Happy Chef games, even though some of the programming is a tiny bit different because you’re a girl and he’s a boy, but you still have the Happy Chef genes.” Hooray, her anxious will to understand is forming.

The gene pool is where all the programming comes from when a baby is made, and the programmer says, “I want the mouth of this game and the eyes of that game to create a new game,” controlling it. I follow up with, “The gene pool thinks it’s getting two different games to mess around with to create its new game, right? But when the programmer says to use Happy Chef eyes, it scrolls down to find the Happy Chefs eyes to find green and blue. Because it can’t tell which ones to use, it may create blue eyes like yours, or green like your brothers. But what if it is so confused it gives the baby one eye of each color or maybe even three eyes because both colors are Happy Chef eyes?” My daughter watches, deep in thought, brain in high gear.

“But if the programmer says ‘Oh I can either use Happy Chef eyes or Bejeweled eyes,’ because that’s what your husband has, it isn’t confused. The same goes for whether the new baby game will be dark colored, smart, funny, tall, etc. Then it creates a whole new game from Happy Chef and Bejeweled. Maybe it’s called Happy Jeweled. Does that make sense?” Satisfied because either she got it, or she was so baffled she quit, I was just content with her not asking the gender of the Happy Jeweled baby.

Perhaps someone needs to come up with a computer generated Birds and Bees lesson to explain this concept in a fun way to kids. But parents would rather have their kids find out from their friends, with intentions of doing it themselves. Even when parents find the time, often they are lost in rationalizing, or perhaps have no clue themselves. But there’s gotta be a fun way for kids to get the facts before they discover the four-letter terminology from their friends at school. In case you were unaware, the stork story is grounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment