Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Write Woman Distinguishes between a Job and a Career (64 days left)


Make a list of all you have to offer a company
Believe it or not, there are people who apply for employment and never consider turning any position down. They’re thrilled that someone would be willing to take them under their wing and pay them. Sounds sad, but I used to be one of those people, even when I had skills up the wazoo! The thing is, because I didn’t have a formal education, I never considered it worth mentioning because I assumed everyone else probably has the same skills. Untrue! Now I understand that even before my university education, I still knew more than most people about computers. I worked several years for a computer company named Packard Bell before they went under and became Compaq. This introduced me to the process of the motherboard, RAM, hard drives, ROM, etc. and the functions of them before I even owned a computer. Now consider I’ve worked in a daycare, as an exotic dancer, as a construction worker, dump truck and even over-the-road, all the while meeting and talking to different people. This isn’t even touching on teaching, giving presentations and writing, mind you, all learned as I made my way through life. I am a curious person. (Meaning I’m a dabbler in things, not necessarily I am weird.)

Yesterday I had a few job interviews, but with one of them, I was pretty proud of myself after. I drove an hour and a half to get there, dressed professionally and felt confident. The school was an academically acclaimed arts elementary and junior high with a focus on the theater, music, etc. in high school. Yeah! The perfect way to meet people in “the business,” right? Not to mention the possibility of casting my own creations with sets, etc.

The parking lot was huge. The inside had the appearance of a receiving room with a built-in desk and plastic chairs lining the walls, and curious scuffs across the walls and floor. I figured since school wasn’t in session, they were probably in the midst of cleaning. I met the
How many words in a lifetime can one type?
interviewer who led me through to her office. In passing all the rooms, I found them in the same dilapidated condition. This sort of confused me because summer is half over, but I followed her into a small room where a woman sat in front of her desk with her laptop propped up on it, typing away. She was dressed in a T-shirt and jeans, matching the woman I’d followed, like daycare workers. I was informed they currently share an office.

The interviewer asked me what computer knowledge I have. I described a few basic programs such as MS Word and explained I have presentation skills if they ever come across a time where they may need them, as well as film experience. Both women laughed, and then she asked me if I understood data entry. “I can type about 55 wpm,” I said, “I’m a little rusty, but I’m sure it will come back to me. I’m used to writing whatever’s on my mind.” The expression of confusion and the tilt of her head made me think we were speaking different languages. Then I found out we were when she said, “Speed doesn’t really matter, as long as you know data entry. You know, when you look at a form and copy the words into the computer? You don’t need to be smart.” I sat for a moment, my furrowed brows were closing in on my cheeks as my eyes shifted. I could feel it. Her eyes burrowed into mine and she said, “I don’t really get computers and all that other stuff you’re talking about.”

“Yes,” I said, losing my affirmation of all the hopes and dreams I came into the building with just moments before, “I can type.” My mind was asking my feet why they weren’t creating a new 440 dash in high heels record, although there is an actual world record set for such a “feet.” Get it?

So people, don’t sell yourself short. Even if you don’t have the education you deserve yet, take the information you have and be proud enough of it not to sell yourself short. I drove the hour and a half home, sad I had wasted so much gasoline, but wondering if it had been wasted after all. This was the first time I’d laughed, climbing into my car, after an interview, because someone out there is still waiting for me to contact him/her with an alert to my availability and prowess. Now, I just need to keep the search on. You don’t deserve a job, you deserve a career.

As my hero Gru from Despicable Me says, “That’s what I’m talking ‘bout!”

No comments:

Post a Comment