Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Write Woman Breaks the Law (137 Days Left)


I've never been a good actress.
Friday, a full day, was much more than it pretended to be when I awakened broke, but in a good mood due to my kids, my son’s grandma, and the request for an employment interview, which I turned down. Still, I figured I’d dress in case I found someone to deliver my resume to. A single mom does everything!

At 4:00 I started my writing, took a shower at 6:00, got my daughter up and thanks to my new approach it was worry-free. I’ve divided her morning up in 15 minute increments, posting signs in each place to let her know when her time is up for that segment.

Waking up at 7:00, Nikki’s sign says she needs to eat at 7:15. By the table, a sign says she must dress at 7:30. In her bedroom is a sign stating she must brush her teeth at 7:45, and in the restroom is a sign stating she must do her hair at 8:00. She can do any of these things earlier, if she chooses, but no later. If she goes to school unfinished, she’s had the opportunity. Unlike the other mornings, when we fight at 8:30 to get her out with tangled hair, she was finished by 8:00. Hope it keeps working!

My day was off to a roaring start. I dressed nicely in casual/professional, reverse French braided my hair, and even without makeup (‘cause I hate it) I looked pretty great.

I took Cameron to see his doctor and worked in the lobby on my laptop. Afterward we called Grandma, but there was no answer. I decided to go to the downtown library and make a couple of copies of my resume, although they wouldn’t look really good, it was better than nothing. I had a few coins in my wallet, and that’s all.

At the library, the parking garage below was free for the first half-hour. Thank you Diamond Parking (tongue in cheek) for giving me enough time to get in, make a couple of copies and get the Hades out. We’d recall Grandma and see if she still wanted to go to her library today.

They care -- eventually
Once inside, I received the little white card in the darkened basement. I couldn’t see the print, so I examined my dashboard to see 11:08 a.m. “Okay,” I told Cameron as we pulled through the raised barricade, “we’ve got to get in and back out by 11:30, just to be safe. Think we can do it?” He nodded his head, we parked, hit the elevators, went through the front door, past the stores and into the library. I handed him the flashdrive and opened my computer to make sure the resume looked correct, for about the twelfth time.

A few minutes later, he returned to tell me it was .10 a copy. “No problem,” I said, reaching down to my purse. “It’s almost twenty after.” I reminded him, checking out the time on my computer screen. I opened the change purse and he plunged his hand inside, grabbing a few coins before darting off. Moments later, he returned with one horribly faded copy. “This is what I got, so I stopped at one,” he said. I figured it would do for today and thanked him. We packed up, headed to the garage, jumped into the car and headed to the barricade to get out. Pushing the ticket in, the display told me I needed to pay $1.50 and they only took bank cards, not cash.

If you recall by the first paragraph, no monies in the bank. I threw the car in reverse, drove back and parked, ran back up to the library, waited patiently in line, and spoke to Michele at the front desk. I explained that I deliberately made sure we were on time and that I live in Ogden, not Salt Lake where we are now, and I would need to pick my daughter up from school. I won’t have money until Wednesday. She looked up Diamond Parking on the net and gave me the number.

Salt Lake City Library
 I called and got an answering machine. Figuring I’d probably get a call back the next day, if I was lucky, I listened to the message to derive another phone number. When I called that one to speak to Sally in Washington, she told me there was nothing she could do. I went back to Michele, nearly 7 months pregnant, and told her my frustration. She called another girl over and told her she didn’t know what to do, but there was a banking machine in the lobby that only charged $1.50. I reinstated I have no money in my banking account and if I did, I doubt it would deliver $3.00.

Finally, I pulled the ticket out and it gave my clocking in time at 10:59, 9 minutes short of the actual time. More people would catch on if it wasn’t so dark. The other girl said we should call security. After a spell, a security guy came out and told me they have problems with Diamond Parking all the time. This is just another day, but he’d go down with us and see what we could do. It’s been nearly an hour. He took us to the teller and told me I could use it to get money. Unfortunately, to get money you must have money. Now it will cost $4.50 to get out. By Wednesday, when I get money, who knows what the cost will be? What will happen to Nikki? This is ridiculous. Think. Think! Think!!!!

I asked the guard if he would mind if I followed someone else through. He said he would not mind at all. We stopped the next person and asked. She said she was in a hurry, but if I was fast, she would let us. But then another guy pulled behind her. “I can’t wait,” she said and took off.

I asked the guard if he would stop the next person. “I can’t do that,” he said, “It would be illegal.” I have a hard time knowing the differences between him asking or watching me do it, but whatever. I asked the next guy and he said, “Sure!” I ran to get my car and Cameron followed. I got in and squealed around the corners just a turn away. The last car pulled through, the security guard walked away, and I sat there looking at the barricade.

The reason this is such a big deal for me is because I’m sickeningly honest. Like, to a fault. But now it was past 12:45 and it was obvious no one was going to help. I don’t get it! If I were standing on the street corner with a cardboard sign begging for money, I’d have it falling from my pockets. Do they really think I’d still be there for over an hour for $1.50 if I had it? So I got out and lifted the barricade. “Come on!” I motioned for Cameron to come and take it. When he did, I sped through, receiving dirty looks from the people going in. Diamond Parking called back about three hours later. Needless to say, we will not be returning to that library.


We took Grandma to the library where she could checkout a mystery. She left with a book about St. Bernards and a “mystery” by Stephen King, even though I reminded her he is a horror novelist. She shrugged and told me how much she loves reading Stephen King mysteries. Okay, Grandma, sleep tight!

"Stephen King? I love mysteries!"
I took Cameron to his father’s, when he told me he forgot his soccer outfit for the game Saturday, but had to shrug and tell him his dad would need to bring him early to change. I raced to get Nikki, hopped out of the car and ran to her school, just as she came out the doors.

This is a movie. Just throw a few more coincidences out there, really riling it up and you’ll have a different day of my life. Despite having seven reviews to give, of a minimum three paragraphs each, between the time of 10 a.m. and 7 p.m., including a soccer game to attend, I managed.

Today has been noted as an official “Pajama Day” where I will work on Vermill!on Beach and put my charity work, etc. on hold, as I am not equipped to perform it well enough to be worth the effort. At the library yesterday, I loaded up on Disney movies to keep Nikki entertained beside me while I work. Whoops! Guess I’d better back to the script.

All in all, I think I’m past the point in my life where I should just take what I can get for a career. I haven’t the time for that. Now I need a position that will propel me into the future. A career I want. I am going to write professionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment