Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Write Woman Feels No Shame (172 Days to Go!)





Leaders don't have time to follow
Okay, at least not today, but I love the second chance I get in proving myself. I’ve always heard there are leaders and there are followers. I’ve never been much of a follower, which naturally means I’m going down when others go up. I am a leader, although not a great leader of many, like Joan of Ark, but then I don’t necessarily drum loudly, if you know what I mean. I didn’t anyway, until now.
            This group that I participate with, Stage 32, wrote an email asking me to lead a chapter in Utah for their group. I weighed it out a bit, because I’m already spread relatively thin, but then I decided I needed to. No, I won’t get paid, or any accolades. I don’t even know if anyone will come, but I’m not wasting my time. I’ve made a poster for the library, advertising The Film Scene, I’ve sent email after email in an effort to get like-minded Utahns to attend, I’ve reserved the room, created a presentation and handouts, but haven’t had a single person respond. I gotta tell you, I’m not feeling like Kevin Costner right now. “If you build it, they will come,” hasn’t sounded yet, but there’s still time. Meanwhile, I’m receiving a raw taste of life.
            Meanwhile, I’m totally psyched about my short Change that I’ve written. The script is eleven pages long, has two characters, and will be very cute. But I only have a short amount of time to do it. A week. The cameraman who was geared to do it got the weeks mixed up and is out of town until the 19th. I decided to film it myself with my little Sony camera. Not as good, but it will do the job. Then the teen who was going to portray the teen sister just informed me she wasn’t going to be able to do it because her father’s concerned about her existence on YouTube. I guess for safety’s sake, a parent can’t be too careful, but a little notice would have been good. So I’m running in circles to find someone. I asked my friend, the “other MJ” I used to work with, and she has two daughters whom she will ask. Normally, it would be easy. I could just do a quick rewrite and have everything be okay, except that I’ve already turned in the script. 
              OMG! MJ just called me and her daughter, Kaylie will perform for the film, despite having a terrible head cold. I am so head-over-heels excited right now! MJ also invited us for a crockpot dinner, which just makes it all the more fun. Her family is so amazing! It’s one of those families who have people lined up, at the infant viewing room in the hospital, cheering because another decent person is born. Not an every day event, at least in my world.
Drown in this incredible love story
Tonight, I’m treating myself to Nicholas Sparks’ The Notebook. Unlike 50 First Dates, this movie doesn’t try to make a tragedy humorous. I suppose I take situations similar to my life a little seriously, when I shouldn’t. Have you ever had a movie just reach out and grab you by the shirt, throw you in a headlock and tell you that you know you belong to the movie, instead of the other way around? I love that!
            Speaking of movies, because I do a lot, Nikki and I saw Cinderella tonight so I could write my article for Geek Smash on it. I was really impressed. It was the same original Charles Perrault rendition for the majority, but enhanced. The CGI attributes with the animals and the Fairy Godmother were extraordinary, and the children laughed when she said, “I’m your hairy dog father.” After that line, the deal was of entertainment was sealed. All the kids loved that movie from there on out—no contest. Life is grand, isn’t it? Life sure is grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment