Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Write Woman on a Limb (109 Days to Graduate)


Each script is 120 pages long
The problem with me is that I'm too old to be picky about which career I indulge in. I should be content with a customer service position until I get my degree, right? Why don't I feel like that? I've applied for numerous positions in the past few weeks, but when they call and describe the position, I just can't force myself to go to the interview. There's always something wrong with the job. And although I could take the job, because it's only for a little while, my heart wouldn't be in it. I wouldn't produce even par work, which isn't fair to the employer. Where does that leave me? This is totally stupid, and I know it is, but it's the only resolution I can bear -- I need to complete the screenplay of Vermill!on Beach and get it out there! What does this mean? This means that in addition to teaching public school, schooling Cameron in home studies, attending his soccer games, assuring Nikki's doing well with her classes, and achieving aced grades in my own schooling, I need to complete the final 100 pages of my screenplay within two days. Impossible? Probably, but I've got my outline to simplify the process. That would be to enter it in two different contests, Script Pipeline is quickly approaching, and Final Draft's Big Break Contest is right around the proverbial corner.

The game yesterday for my son's soccer team? What a mess! Okay, so I'm poor. I had four pieces of paper to print on. Cameron's father called one hour before his game and asked me to print off the contract for the new soccer league because he can't work his computer. I stopped my school work, got on the computer, filled out nearly 14 pages of crap to print off three sheets, praying I wouldn't mess them up. They printed, without the blanks filled in. I had to hand
Xtreme play - My son's the goalie in the gray shirt
write all the insurance information, emergency contacts, father's address as well as our information. It was pouring rain, we were already half an hour late, and I couldn't find my car keys. "We're going to have to walk!" I explained to Nikki. She opened the front door and was horrified to see rain pouring down. "We've got to get this to them today." She asked if I looked in my purse. Of course I had. We both toured the tiny apartment, peeking into places they never would be, until she said, "Here they are!" They were crammed into the wrong pocket of my purse. I was thankful, but livid, took a deep breath and headed out. Thank goodness we had our umbrellas. Mine is old and tattered, turning inside-out every time the wind blew. Cam's dad walks from beneath the canopy to me. "Hey, don't know if you realized it or not, but your pants are wet." I looked down and they were soaked to the skin. He suggested I climb beneath the canopy, but no I'm too damned tough for that sissy crap! Guess he deserves kudos for making nice. The boys played hard, giving the other team a run for the money and losing by one point. Way to go, Xtreme! Being a soccer mom is pretty fun after all.

Hope there's something soft below!
I'm also figuring out creative things to do with food, such as mixing things together that sound disgusting, but taste good. Okay, most of them are disgusting! But once in a while, I hit on something that isn't so bad when I close my eyes and use my imagination. The hard part is convincing my kids the food is yummy. I thought about having a website where poor people can learn to make odd things from everyday items, but without having meat in the house, my following wouldn't be very good. Our main ingredient is potatoes, although anyone who knows me can't be surprised. Potatoes are versatile vegetables and go way beyond the plate on the table. And while I suppose eating potatoes is healthy, but if I'm not careful I may be eating the bark from the limb I'm dangling from.

No comments:

Post a Comment